Sunday, July 25, 2010

Worry-free and Stress-free Living

"Martha, Martha, you worry and are troubled about many things, whereas only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen the better part, and it will not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:38-42)

Months ago, I could easily replace Martha's name in the above gospel reading with my own name. But God had been dealing with this issue in my life for quite a while now that I could honestly say I have become like Mary, who has chosen the better part and indeed it will not be taken away from me.

And what was it that Mary had which Martha lacked?

Peace and contentment. Whereas Martha was filled with worries, Mary was at peace. Whereas Martha was feeling rushed, Mary was sitting contentedly. Martha's day was busy with a lot of things to do and her mind was getting muddled. She was getting overwhelmed with her tasks that she was starting to pick on other people, too, especially her sister who was not giving her a hand. Resentment, frustration, anger are evident in her complaint, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do all the serving?" And the Lord chided her. "You worry and are troubled about many things, whereas only one thing is needed." What was it? "Mary has chosen the better part". Mary was listening to the Lord. Mary was not immersed in the noise of the environment. Mary was at the Lord's feet. The Lord was not talking about the physical activities that these two people were doing at that time when He said Mary chose the better part. The Lord was talking about their inner dispositions. Who had the quiet spirit? Who could hear the Lord more? Even if the two characters had to exchange roles, Martha sitting by the Lord's feet and Mary doing the serving, with Mary's disposition, the Lord will still commend her. Mary will be silently serving the guests while listening to Jesus from a distance. How do you think Martha will be in this new scenario? I can almost hear her saying, "Lord, don't you care that my sister is out there serving the other guests and not entertaining you. She should be here." No doubt, the Lord would still chide Martha's comment aside.

Constantly reflecting on this Gospel scene help me in various ways to quiet my mind and heart. No longer feeling rushed, I am able to do my work serenely. Without worries visiting my mind, I am able to rest in Him even as I perform my obligations. Interruptions are not as irritating as before because I am able to focus on God's small voice within.

A good complement to this Gospel reading is a verse from Matthew 6:31-33. "So do not start worrying: 'Where will my food come from? or my drink? or my clothes? Your Father in heaven knows that you need all these things. Instead, be concerned above everything else with the Kingdom of God and with what he requires of you, and he will provide you with all these other things."

Again, this reading stresses on the attitude of worry. Instead of worrying, Jesus implores that we trust God to provide all these things as long as we do what he requires of us. So in every moment of everyday, I ask Him, "Lord, what do you require of me at this very moment?".

And this was the same prayer I was just asking today while writing this reflection. Interrupting my prayer and reflective thoughts, my daughter came to me saying, "Mommy, I want pancake for breakfast please." Normally, the interruption would irritate me but hearing God's small voice in the voice of my little girl, I knew that He just answered my question. I stood up, left everything I was doing, and followed God's voice in the kitchen and cooked breakfast for my family.

Since I usually finish ahead of the girls in eating my food, I was able to continue writing and reflecting, while I feed the small one. Because of the blessed interruption, I was able to add on my reflection and prayer a detail about this particular lesson and instruction. I would have missed it had I insisted on finishing my prayer and reflective writing and ignored the clamor of responsibility and obligation in the voice of my child, in the voice of God. And I realized I just did Martha's work with Mary's disposition.

No comments: