Sunday, July 18, 2010

Loving Summer

Summer is here. Groceries are teeming with fruits and vegetables in very affordable prices. Grapes, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries, pineapples, avocadoes, dewberries, melons, plums, peaches, pears, apricots, etc. It is so easy to incorporate all these fruits to our meal so the kids could enjoy it. I incorporate blueberries to their pancakes which burst as the pancake cooks. They put on whipped cream and fresh strawberries on top of the pancake and they're good with it. The key to keeping the freshness of the fruits is washing them only before they are served and eaten. Otherwise, the berries and grapes will easily rot. When the fruits get to that stage where it is no longer fresh, I just make a smoothie from it. Iced tea goes well with sliced strawberries too.

Last week I also discovered vegetables that I can use to substitute for veggies that are not available here. I cooked monggo with spinach instead of ampalaya leaves. I got to make kale salad which has the consistency of talbos ng kamote. The kids loved the salad with sesame oil, garlic salt, pepper, sugar and freshly squeezed orange juice with slices of fresh tomatoes and chopped onion leeks. It's good that I was able to grow herbs on pots. My deck is teeming with basil, rosemary, dillweed, parsley and tomatoes which are now in bloom. The onion leeks which I put on a glass of water is still growing leaves for more than a month now. If there's one thing I love about summer, it's the gastronomic experience that goes with it. Grilled foods are in. Since we could not have a grill on our deck because of state laws, I bought a George Foreman grill as a birthday gift for my husband. He loves it. Now we have a summer that sizzles.

No comments: