Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Amazing Technology

Once more, I am amazed at how technology has made things very easy here in the US. I recently visited my new primary care doctor. She belongs to Group Health Associates. She holds clinic which is very near our place. When I registered I was given the option to fill out the myChart feature of their health care. It enables me to have a web account with them so I can view my appointments, make new appointments or even email my doctors regarding questions. I can also ask for prescription refills through this account.

Last Thursday, I had a severe low back pain which did not respond to NSAID intake. When I went to the GHA clinic to have my blood drawn, I asked the secretary if I could make a stat appointment with my primary care doctor because I just wanted a prescription for muscle relaxant. I was informed that she was only there in the morning so the secretary typed a message for her instead. After 10 minutes, I was told that she had muscle relaxants prescribed for me and that I could pick up the medicine at Walmart pharmacy (where I usually buy my medicines). I was impressed with the network that they have even with pharmacies. When I went to Walmart, my medicines were ready for pick-up and I just paid $4.00 for co-pay.

Then this morning, I went to my rehab/physical medicine doctor for a consult. He prescribed for an MRI and the nurse made an appointment for me for this procedure at Bethesda North. Then he prescribed a steroid and asked me where I wanted the drug picked up. My husband and I decided to get it from Bigg's because it is on the way to our house. When we went to Bigg's we saw that there was actually a drive-thru where you could pick up medicines but the pharmacist informed us that it will take 15 minutes for her to process the transaction because I was a new patient for that pharmacy. So the next time that I need to pick-up a drug from them, I can use the drive-thru already. Amazing.

This reminded me of the drive-thru at the bank which was very convenient especially during winter and when you have kids with you. You simply go through the drive-thru and they have canisters which you put your deposit/withdrawal slips. The canister is sucked by a vacuum which delivers it to the bank teller who communicates with you via an intercom.

In the hospitals too, a lot of technological improvements are put into place. One hospital that I go to, no longer uses paper charting. Everything is done through the computer software Epic Hyperspace. The main advantage is that doctors see all orders at a glance, even those given by other doctors. You also see all medications that are prescribed to the patient. It makes it easier for pharmacists to see redundant medications or drug interactions. It is also easier for nurses to see what medications are due at a particular hour. The doctors are also able to access the patient's chart even when they are outside the hospital. Hopefully, all these technological advancements will result in better patient care.

No comments: