Thursday, July 23, 2009

Technology and Efficiency in the Land of Milk and Honey

I am just so amazed at the efficiency with which things are done here in the US. When my husband and I went to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) to take our written exams, it only took us less than one hour to sit for it, taking turns so someone gets to sit with the kids. When he went to another BMV outlet to get the license plate of our SUV, we were expecting to be tied up for at least half of the day, but then again, it only took us 2 minutes to have the license plates issued and released to us.

When the kids left the Philippines, they were both exposed to TB. My older daughter had primary complex when she was 9 months old and my younger daughter had a positive Mantoux test. We were made to visit the TB Control center here in Cincinnati to follow up on the kids. Repeat chest xrays were done on them and they were both seen by a pediatrician. Their chest x-rays were clear and there was nothing to be done on my older daughter but the younger one had to take INH for 9 months because of their protocol wherein children less than 4 years old with positive Mantoux test will need to undergo chemoprophylaxis of INH alone. We expected to be charged for the chest x-rays but it was done for free. Then we were instructed to return the week after to get the medicine which will be given to her every month free of charge until she completes the chemoprophylaxis. All these happened in less than 2 hours. We were already benefiting from the services even when we still have not contributed to the taxation system.

Then yesterday, I needed to have some documents for my Ohio nursing licensure application notarized. I was informed by my sister-in-law that there is one inside PNC bank. I was quite surprised by the set up so I called just to verify if indeed the branch where we frequently do banking has a notary public. Yes, indeed there was one. When I asked how much they charge for notarization of one document, she asked me if I have an account with the bank. When I answered 'yes', she simply said, 'it's free of charge'. Wooh! Talk about customer service! I have to mention as well that they have a drive-thru service to do banking transactions. You simply put your transaction slips for deposits or withdrawals in a flask and it is siphoned into the vacuum tunnel towards the bank personnel. This is very convenient if you have kids with you that you do not want to unbuckle anymore, or when the weather is so bad that you would not want to step out of your car.

This morning, my husband and my younger daughter had to go to USCIS to get their biometrics taken. The USCIS notice had the same look as the USCIS notices we received while we were still waiting for our immigration papers to be processed back in the Philippines. It also had this notice written that cellphones are not allowed and only those who needed to be present should go. So we recalled how it was in the Philippines wherein we had to line up in the US embassy, undergo strict security clearance and spend at least half of the day to undergo these procedures. I was hesitant at first to enter the building since it was only the two of them who were given the notices. My older daughter and I already have our green cards. But when we entered the building and went through security checks, we were surprised to be greeted warmly by the security personnel and directed to the room where the biometrics were to be done. When we got to the room, again the warm greetings and very casual instructions to fill up the forms, etc. And although my husband was still scheduled for 1pm, they also did the biometrics on him so he does not have to go back in the afternoon anymore. In an hour, we were done.

While we were leaving the building, we were just shaking our heads in utter amazement. Truly impressive! And even though we have no employment security at the moment, everyday we wake up in gratitude that we are experiencing all these blessings given to us by God. It is so true that a lot of people take these things for granted because they have gotten used to it. But for us who have lived, grown and suffered inefficient system of public service back home, we can only utter prayers of thanksgiving that we got the chance to experience this kind of system here. And with sighs of sorrow, we wonder whether people back home would ever have a taste of such system in the near future. We can also just hope and pray.

No comments: