Saturday, July 4, 2009

Cooking in America

One of the challenges in America is preparing food for the family. I had to do an experiment of cooking a huge bulk that would last for a week or more. But eventually I found this as not so good an idea. Until now, I still have to find a way to finish that "monggo" in the refrigerator. The adobo has already graduated in our tummies after 2 weeks of heating and re-heating. I will never do that again. Perhaps cooking for a volume that can last for a couple of days is fine, but for a week or more... it just becomes punishment for the diners.

But it was good practice to always cook with a good amount of left-overs because at least, there is always food that can be easily heated.

Another challenge is to keep the house from smelling like spices. It was one scent I noted when I visited my sister's house in California a couple of years ago. I did not notice this in my sister-in-law's house. It was only now that I realized that my sister-in-law did not cook that much and so kept her house from getting that peculiar smell. I noticed this smell after a week of cooking. It actually came from the garlic, onions, soy sauce, pepper and vinegar that are constantly used in Filipino dishes. That made me buy vanilla scented candles and kept it lit inside the house.

Anyway, just a few days ago, my sister-in-law brought home some left-over lechon from Texas. A Filipino friend of hers celebrated her birthday with Filipino dishes and a huge lechon and gave most of the left-overs to her visitors. Inorder to avoid having the house smelling of vinegar and spices, I had to cook the lechon paksiw while my sister-in-law was away on vacation in San Francisco. Of course, this is my first time to cook lechon paksiw and so I had to google the recipe. I found a few interesting ones and adapted 2 recipes to make my own version of lechon paksiw. Here it goes:

2 kg lechon chopped in bite-sized pieces (yes, that was the volume of the left-over from Texas)
2 cups Mang Tomas sauce (thank God there were still 3 bottles left in her pantry)
2 cups white vinegar (courtesy of that Asian store, Cam, which sold Datu Puti soy sauce and
vinegar in a neat bundle. I should have taken 2 packs)
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp peppercorn
8 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 cup dried oregano (it was originally for 1 cup and I felt it may turn out to be very
overpowering. With 1/2 cup, it was still overpowering, so I suggest to
make this 1/4 cup)
2 cups water
1 cup soy sauce
5 pcs of bay leaves

Just put everything together in a huge pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for one hour or until the skin softens and some of the meat shreds off easily. Enjoy with steaming rice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ate Lan, try freezing your leftovers. It can sit in your freezer for a couple of months and will still be good when you reheat it. I do this all this time when I make a big pot of whatever. Never fails when I really don't have time to cook or too tired to do so.

Rosalind