Sunday, June 6, 2010

Lessons from the Trail

"Knowing what you want in life is the first step to achieving it."

That was the lesson I got when I went back to running on the trail the other day. It has been months since I've done that... run and learn from my Running Mate. Two years ago, I wrote the book, "Running the Millionaire Lane". I know Jesus the healer very well. I also know Jesus the teacher. But I never thought I would encounter Jesus the runner and Jesus the wealth manager. That was my book... a novice runner's spiritual journey in the material world. I wrote about my encounters with Jesus the runner and wealth manager and learned a lot of valuable lessons from Him. In the past, there was nothing that could motivate me to run 5 kilometers. But because of these spiritual encounters, I started writing and it became my motivation to run. I had nothing to write if I did not run. I was forced to go through the training until I was able to run 10 kilometers.

These past months, I missed running. My work got in the way. I have been working long hours that my off days were spent recovering. Consequently, I missed the encounters with my Running Mate. I was more in contact with Jesus my personal Savior, who has always been with me everyday, saving me from long hours of work, from weekend and night calls, from difficult patients, from machine mishaps, etc. And I believe the breather I got that day from my run was also a result of Jesus, my personal Savior's intervention. I was losing focus of why I am here. And the run brought everything back into clear focus again.

I know what I want in life. At 38, I am a retired anesthesiologist. I have no intention of going back into the field of medicine again. I am in a career transition. Obviously, with all the desolations I am encountering in the workplace, it is not my final calling too. My vision is to establish a career in writing.

I remember my Running Mate's first lesson from my book. "You need to pace yourself". There is no short cut to my goal. I may have published a book but I am still far from my goal of becoming a established author who inspires people to a more meaningful life. "It's all about enjoying the experience. If you try too hard to achieve something and be agitated because you do not immediately see the results, you might end up being disheartened."

"You must learn how to recognize an opportunity. You have unique talents. You know your interests. There is a great correlation between what you love doing and the opportunity to live an abundant life. Before you embark on something, you have to stop and assess the situation. Then create your plan based on your assessment. Then offer your plan to me. I cannot bless anything if you do not offer me anything."

I started discussing my plans with my Running Mate. And He showed me the light. I have started the first step in becoming a serious writer. I am currently enrolled in a 2-year writing course program. Now it is demanding more attention and focus from me. And that is what my Running Mate is reminding me of. Again, from the book, I remembered Him telling me, "Focus. Focus. Stay focused".

"It's all about the decision. When you finally decide to do something, the firmness of your resolve will push you to accomplish things that are initially difficult. But with your resolve to keep at it, you will eventually find ways to make it easy for you. You have to fix your eyes on the vision. It means delaying gratification. It means prioritizing the things that will help you achieve your goal. It means knowing which among your endeavors are really worth your time and effort. There are desires that only serve to satiate the temporary wants of the flesh. You must learn to filter these out. When you have decided, then things will move on in the right direction."

I wrote down my goals and objectives again, establishing clear time lines and daily activities that leads to accomplishing my goal and objectives. This is a lesson from my Running Mate too. "You have your overall vision and goal, but it might take some time before you see the accomplishment of all your endeavors. To keep you going, you have to make smaller goals that will break down the steps for you. These are your objectives. These are more achievable in a shorter span of time. This will encourage you and give you the energy you need to sustain your efforts, enough to make you accomplish your bigger vision."

The first step for me is to cut down my working days again. I used to do 3 days a week but ever since I started working 4 days a week, I've missed the things I truly love doing... reading, running and writing. It is slowly wilting my soul. I know it will make an impact on our family's income but I have to trust in my Running Mate's advice. If it is truly an advice coming from Him, He will give outward confirmations: 1) our income will be enough for the family, 2) there will be no resistance from my superiors and 3) there will be inner peace in me and my family about the decision.

I hear His words of two years ago echoing in my mind. "Seeking for what is always safe is not always good. It may point to a lack of faith. Do not bury your talent underground."

I just need to fix my eyes on my Running Mate the way Simon Peter fixed his eyes on Him. This prevented him from sinking in the stormy sea. Yes, trust and faith are what my Running Mate is demanding of me.

No comments: